SNPedia: a wiki supporting personal genome annotation, interpretation and analysis Michael Cariaso; Greg Lennon Nucleic Acids Research 2011; doi: 10.1093/nar/gkr798
[PMID 22140107] Read the Abstract or Full Text
Some of the published articles about SNPedia include the following, generally in chronological order starting with the most recent:
- How a wiki is keeping direct to consumer genetics alive (MIT Technology Review) Oct 2014
- How to get the most from a gene test (Nature News, Nov. 6, 2008)
- What Gene Tests Can Really Tell You (BusinessWeek, Nov. 3, 2008)
- Genes R Us (SCIENCE, Jan. 11, 2008, p. 139)
- SNPedia: A Wiki for Personal Genomics (Bio-IT World, Dec. 2007)
- Broadening Genetic Tests in the Consumer Market (GEN, Dec 1 2007; Vol. 27, No. 21; see section on Whole Genome Typing)
Other mentions and/or essays include:
- Own Your DNA (MIT Technology Review, February 2016)
- The $1,000 genome (Simon and Schuster, 2010)
- Here Is a Human Being (HarperCollins Publishers, 2010)
All contributions to SNPedia are considered to be released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License (see SNPedia:Copyrights for details). SNPedia and the information in it is intended to remain available for free access by individuals for their personal use in perpetuity.
SNPedia was created in 2006 by River Road Bio LLC, jointly owned by User:Cariaso and User:Lennon. In 2019, MyHeritage announced its acquisition of River Road Bio.
River Road Bio also created Promethease.com, which uses SNPedia content. Revenue to support SNPedia is derived from Promethease use and commercial licensing of SNPedia and/or Promethease.
Early versions of SNPedia and Promethease are visible at
- Nov 2009 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MAANMQpsL8
- Aug 2010 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5W4KPNWgag
- Jan 2012 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz8kpbgXg_I
- Jul 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbbRhGJhsg8
- Jul 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPF7IanRqok
- May 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E5V7bec_xE
- Mar 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcIVs8MWLkI