Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder characterized by refusal to maintain a healthy body weight, and an obsessive fear of gaining weight due to a distorted self image. It is a serious mental illness with a high incidence of comorbidity and one of the highest mortality rates of any psychiatric disorder.Wikipedia Anorexia is known to be heritable. This 2009 review discusses the genetics of anorexia nervosa . A 2013 paper investigates possible association of anorexia nervosa with obsessive compulsive disorder OCD [PMID 23337130]. A 2014 GWAS study is currently in press [PMID 24514567]. DNA variations in these genes may be associated with anorexia nervosa:
- BDNF, brain-derived neurotrophic factor [PMID 17376155], but see negative results in a Japanese cohort [PMID 22127997]
- CNR1, endocannabinoid CB1 receptor
- rs1049353 [PMID 19659925] but not in [PMID 19014633]
- rs10096097 near the MBOAT4 gene
- DRD4, dopamine D4 receptor
- ESR1, estrogen receptor 1
- rs2295193, but association was not replicated in [PMID 24282178]
- rs3798577 [PMID 20375995]
- FAAH, fatty acid amide hydrolase
- rs324420 [PMID 19659925] but not in [PMID 19014633]
- HTR1D, serotonin receptor 1D
- PPP3CA, protein phosphatase 3, catalytic subunit, alpha isoform (formerly PPP2B)
GWAS studies on anorexia nervosɑ
[PMID 24514567] A genome-wide association study of anorexia nervosa.
[PMID 23568457] Genetic variants associated with disordered eating. A genome-wide association study on common SNPs and rare CNVs in anorexia nervosa.
[PMID 23568457] Genetic variants associated with disordered eating.
SNPs associated with anorexia nervosa based on GWAS studiesː